My name is Katherine. In my job of running a well-known Matchmaking Service I get many emails. I will share some of them with you each day.

Sunday 10 December 2006

Friendship Only

Members of dating agencies have different agendas.However, people joining a conventional dating agency are right to assume that other members are looking for a long-term relationship. I know internet dating sites usually ask the question 'friendship only?', but this is yet another difference between internet dating sites and personal dating services.

"You sent my profile to S who wrote to me a few days ago. We briefly emailed each other and spoke tonight for about an hour. I liked her photo and we got on very well via the phone and definitely would have met up for a date. I'm always honest with someone and therefore mentioned that I am not looking for marriage (for the foreseeable future anyway) and do not want any more children as I have my two already. S wants both and no-one should deny her her dream, particularly me. We were both disappointed because I'm sure, from our conversation anyway, that we would have got on.

I'm wondering if there is a section in the profile which tells others whether we are looking for marriage/children as it would make things easier and save disappointment for both parties to know from the onset what our prospective ambitions are?.. (wanting a serious relationship is a prerequisite from someone joining Grapevine)

...She sounded absolutely delightful and I know she liked me too. Ah well."


The next email is interesting in that the 'B' list is a selection of people that doesn't adhere to all the main chosen selection criteria (age, height etc.). It proves that being open-minded can work.

"Thank you for your email. There is no need to extend my membership as I have met someone. We did meet through Grapevine. I contacted him from the 'B' list you sent me and things have gone very well indeed. We have fallen in love and look forward to a long future together. Many thanks."

No comments: